Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Pac-Man Fever

So I considered calling in sick today with a mean case of Pac-Man Fever. And by ‘Pac-Man Fever’, I mean that today is the long-awaited and much heralded release of none other than Halo 3. I’ve got the DT’s so bad I can barely type.

The Halo franchise has become such a juggernaut; the release hype for Halo 3 is reminiscent of the frenzy that accompanies a new Star Wars film. What particularly intrigues me about the Halo licensing empire is how they have expertly and adroitly embraced the comics/graphic novel world, particularly from a creative standpoint. Granted they have been producing licensed (prose) novels for some time, but their first foray into the graphic novel space was extremely well-handled, IMHO. Instead of just cranking out some quick-and-dirty book with no-name talent, they produced the book completely in-house and secured amazing artists, such as the legendary Moebius. In essence, the editors were careful to pay the proper respect to the Halo universe, a concept that I find is exceedingly important when working with titles on this level, be they film or video game. If you’re a Halo fan and haven’t picked up this book I highly suggest you succumb to the Fever yourself and pick up a copy.

While you’re at it, pick up 28 Days Later: The Aftermath and The Hills Have Eyes: The Beginning – two other franchise titles done right with superb talent (man, I can never resist)!

Later

No comments: